VIM Configuration for Writers
This article is not meant as defense for using vim as a writer's tool. Instead, it offers solid version control in a single backup directory. Each time vim is used to view or edit a file it creates a new backup file in the $home/archives folder. Each backup file includes an ISO 8601 formatted date stamp in the filename.
- # cd $home
- # mkdir archive
- Edit .vimrc to include the following:
"Version control backup with ISO 8601 date stamp in filename
au BufWritePre * let &bex = '_' . strftime("%Y-%m-%d") . '~'
- "Enable the backspace key to delete previous characters
- "As-you-type spell check usingdefault language dict if installed
- "Word wrap that only adds line break when you press Enter
- "Enable incremental search without case sensitivity except explicit caps
- "Buffer scrolling